Varicose veins might not be discovered for a significant period of time as the condition is relatively pain-free and does not have many visible symptoms. But, if you can feel pain and swelling in the veins, then it becomes necessary to look for treatment of the condition. There is option to opt for home remedies or surgery for varicose veins as per your preference.
Reasons of Varicose Veins
With about 30 percent of adult population affected, Varicose Veins are caused due to a variety of reasons like:
- Dysfunctional vein valves
- Vascular Defects
- Poor Blood Circulation
- Prolonged Standing
- Lifestyle changes
Treatment for Varicose Veins
Treatments for varicose veins vary. There’s Varicose veins surgery, Laser Treatment, or Sclerotherapy. Then there are certain home remedies that are equally effective.
But one of the most efficient treatment for varicose veins is incorporating certain exercises in your routine. Here we will discuss about the benefits of exercise in varicose veins and various do’s and dont’s regarding them.
Do’s and Don’ts for Varicose Veins Exercise
Below are the few things to know about the exercises and precautions to be taken during Varicose Veins:
- Talk to your doctor to ensure that you can safely exercise.
- See to it, if the body hurts or make the veins worse.
- Warm Up the body before beginning the exercises
- Take a walk everyday. This ensures fresh air in the body, as well as get the leg muscles to push the blood through the veins, thus decreasing the pressure on the Varicose Veins.
- Try to go on a bicycle ride everyday or work out on a stationary bicycle in the gym. Cycling uses the leg muscles and thus push the blood out of the legs.
- Practice swimming. Kicking during swimming help the body to push itself as well as the blood out from the legs.
- Using of calves is very effective in case of Varicose Veins, because calves play an important role in keeping blood circulation in the legs. Practicing ‘Standing Calf Raises’ i.e. using the chair for support, in a standing position, raise the body up on the toes, and slowly lower the body back down. This should be repeated for 10-15 times, followed by a rest with another 10-15 times soon after.
- Working on the thighs also help. This involves, standing from sitting position on the chair. To be repeated for 10-15 times, followed by a break, and another 10-15 times repetitions soon after.
- Before concluding with the daily workout, it is advisable, to slow down for a few minutes and stretch the legs gently.
- Be sure to take slow, even breaths during any exercise that involves straining. It is because holding the breath, puts pressure on the abdomen, preventing leg veins from draining.
- It is advisable not to lift heavy weights, which can increase the pressure on the veins. Better still is to consult a doctor on how much weight, if lifted be safe.
- Go for a healthy diet, for exercises are just a part of the overall program.
- It is important to talk to the doctor regarding exercises to be performed, after undergoing treatment or surgery for Varicose Veins.
By observing these precautions and regularly engaging in exercise, you can easily manage the Varicose veins.